... a warm Hebridean welcome awaits you  
Home| History| Location| Accommodation| Food & Drink| Weddings| Conferences| Tariffs| Special Breaks| Contact| Links
 
 

History

Eachdraidh

Harris Hotel was built in 1865 by the 7th Earl of Dunmore, and was originally called the Tarbert Hotel. At the time, he owned the North Harris Estate and built the hotel as a "sporting retreat" for anglers.

The estate has been owned by several individuals of note over the last century such as the Earl of Dunmore, Sir Samuel and Sir Edward Scott, Lord Leverhulme, Sir Tom Sopworth and Lord Brockett.

William Cameron took over the lease of the hotel in 1903 (having previously run the Taychreggan Hotel by Loch Awe in Argyllshire) and immediately changed the name of the premises to the Harris Hotel.

The Cameron family bought the hotel outright in 1948, and the third and fourth generations, now Morrison, are currently involved in running the business.

The original visitor books, stretching back to the 1880s, are still kept on the premises, and show a number of famous guests have stayed here over the last three centuries. J.M. Barrie, author of Peter Pan, signed the visitor book in 1912, then at the height of his fame as a playwright.

He even took the time to etch his initials on the dining room window, which can still be seen today.

 





 
 
Harris Hotel    Tarbert    Isle of Harris    Outer Hebrides    Scotland    HS3 3DL    +44 (0)1859 502154
Harris Hotel (2002) Co Ltd SC230177    VAT Reg 790 1198 23
All images & content copyright Harris Hotel 2017